Often when I am travelling I end up only having two meals a day… usually because I have slept in. This is a great way to save money. When this happens I like to have a nice big satisfying brunch, really make it count so that I won’t be hungry around 3pm, but full all the way through until dinner. These Mexican Scrambled Eggs Falling off Toast are adapted from some of the delicious breakfasts I had while travelling through both Mexico and Guatemala… maybe I should have called them Central American Scrambled Eggs Falling off Toast… oh well too late now.
One of the first times I had scrambled eggs mixed with tomato and paprika was during my stay at The Chill Inn, Tulum, Mexico – this fantastic gem of a hostel would cook us something different every morning, which was a great way to experience what the locals would eat for breakfast. This combination in various forms then became a staple of my Central American breakfast menu as I travelled around. The dish was revolutionised once more during my recovery stay in San Pedro on the shores of Lake Atitlan, Guatemala (I was recovering from hiking up a volcano… one of the hardest things I have ever done) when avocado was added on top. If you have tried any of my previous recipes you will have realised by now that avocado is one of my favourite ingredients… if I can find an excuse to add it in, I will!
If you are like me and you love a good brunch then this recipe will have your mouth-watering. I also really like it as it is easy to cook for one person, but if I am with someone I just double all of the ingredients. Very easy. Another win for me is that all of the ingredients can easily be used for other dishes, which is one of my major requirements when I go shopping when travelling – how many different ways can I use an ingredient. If you don’t have paprika, don’t stress, just leave it out, or add in another spice – cumin goes well, so would allspice or turmeric. I usually use what ever I find floating around on a hostel “share” shelf.
- 2 Eggs
- 5 Cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 Brown onion, finely diced
- 1 Green chili
- 1/4 Cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Slice of toast (I like sourdough)
- 1 Tsb of paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 Avocado
- In a non stick frying pan heat a little bit of oil
- Add in the onion and chili and cook until soft
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they are starting to wilt
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs then fold in the parsley, salt, pepper and paprika
- Turn down the heat on the frying pan and add the eggs to the tomato and onion
- With a wooden spoon or spatular keep the eggs moving around the pan so that they don't stick and cook evenly.
- Once the eggs have clumped together and most of the moisture is gone, place on top of toast
- Add avocado
- $8 per person AUD
- Non stick frying pan
- Wooden spoon or spatular