Ever look at your hostel ready meal and think “gosh that looks ugly”. It’s often the case with meals we whip together in ramshackle kitchens late in the evening, no matter what you do they just look ugly. Which is why this Asian style warm lamb salad recipe is one of my all time favourites – it’s actually impossible to make it look ugly! It is jam-packed with colour as well as flavour and healthy goodness.
You can pull this warm lamb salad recipe together in 15 minutes, making it the perfect dish to whip up after a long day of sight-seeing. It’s also incredibly filling so will fill up any gaping holes inside of you after being out and about all day.
Switch out the meat:
The beauty of this salad is that you can mix and match ingredients based on what is in season and what is easy to get where ever you are. It also goes really well with salmon or pulled chicken. It can also be easily changed into a vegetarian salad by swapping out the lamb and adding in tofu or maybe halloumi.
Some tips for the sauce:
If you don’t have all of those ingredients on hand at your hostel I suggest grabbing a couple of those little fish soy sauce bottles next time you go for sushi. Then simply heat the soy sauce with a teaspoon of sugar (most hostels will have sugar) and a chilli. A simpler and easy version which is just as tasty!
Change out the veggies:
I think the main thing with the vegetables is to have them be as colourful as possible. So if you want to switch or add in some different things – GO FOR IT! Just make them colourful and pretty. I like snow-peas and beans in this salad as well, sometimes I may add in some watercress. Its your party – make it vibrant!
To show you how simple this delicious easy Asian style warm lamb salad recipe really is, I have thrown together this quick video.
- 3-4 Lamb steaks
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cos lettuse
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful of dried noodles
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tbls soy sauce
- 1 tbls sesame oil
- 1 chopped chili
- 1/2 a lime
- Chop the ginger and garlic and sprinkle with some seasoning over the steaks, add in lime juice and some olive oil. Set to one side for at least 15 minutes
- Loosely chop all of the ingredients for the salad and combine in one bowl
- Cook your steaks with left over marinade juices over a medium heat and then leave to rest for for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan over low heat combine all of your ingredients for the sauce, bring to a gentle boil and then remove.
- Stir the sauce through the salad
- Slice your lamb and place on top of the salad
- $34 total and severs 6 so thats $5.50 per person (AUD)
- 1 frying pan
- 1 sauce pan
- 1 knife
- 1 bowl
- 1 chopping board