This month I am launching my new segment of guest posts from fellow food and travel bloggers who also try and find a way to create healthy $5 Feasts. A great way to get even more inspiration and ideas for cooking up a storm using different ingredients in different locations and all for under $5!
To get the ball rolling is Rosie with a delicious Smoky Black Bean Lettuce Wrap.
Rosie is an Australian-based food and lifestyle blogger. Originally from England. For the past 6 years she has been lucky enough to call the beautiful city of Sydney home. Where she documents her own hearty, healthy and wholesome recipes. With a pinch of lifestyle and a splash of travel.
This dish is a staple in my home; smoky black bean lettuce wraps with pickled red cabbage, fresh lemon, coriander, a dollop of goat’s curd and dusting of parmesan. It really is the most perfect meatless-meaty dish to get your mates feasting. The best attribute to this dish is it will not put a hole in your pocket.
This dish is not just a nutritional powerhouse, it is light, fresh, tangy, smoky, spicy and will certainly excite your tastebuds, as well as nourish your soul.
The beans provide a high content of protein and fibre that is essential to help repair the body’s muscles and tissues as well as boosting your immunity. The fibre in the beans are great for controlling blood cholesterol levels, with a steady release of glucose which is perfect for people living with diabetes. The greens not only provide the additional fibre and a boost of vitamin C, but coriander (cilantro) is my favourite super herb. It is perfect for ridding (chelating) of any oxidants in the body which are know to cause harm. Cabbage is wonderful to help heal the gut as well as boost you full of good bacteria.
Over all a well balanced dish for those on a budget, a great weekend feast for two people and will come in at $4.5 each or $9 combined for the ingredients. This recipe first appeared on Rosie’s blog.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 Tin black beans, drained and washed
- 2 Tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chilli paste or 1 fresh chilli
- 1 Tin diced tomatoes
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 gem/cos/romaine lettuce full leaves, washed
- 1 Cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup goats curd or Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 Cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1/2 Lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 bunch coriander, washed & roughly chopped
- In a large frying pan, melt the coconut oil over a medium heat. Add garlic and lightly fry until soft and fragrant.
- Add black beans and let them heat for 5 minutes. Then add paprika and chilli, stir well.
- Add tinned tomatoes, stir well and let them simmer for 5-7 minutes until it has thickened. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper and a little honey if tomatoes are tart. Squeeze a quarter of the lemon in and stir.
- Whilst tomatoes are simmering, make your pickled cabbage by adding vinegar and a couple of pinches of sea salt, massage with hands to get the enzymes working and the cabbage will start producing water.
- Serve on a large plate or tray, scatter pickled cabbage on leaves, followed by dollops of your smoky beans, sprinkle with parmesan, coriander, squeeze of lemon and when you are just about to devour add the goats curd/Greek yoghurt.
- $9 total for 2 people... thats $4.50 each!